For the PDF version of this article click here
Included Materials: please check that you’ve received all the components needed for the kit in the box.
- Item list
- Elf Plush (1)
- Mini Arduino board by Digispark USB Micro Controller (1)
- Speaker (1)
- Coin cell battery holder (1)
- 3V CR 2032 coin cells (2)
- LED (3)
- USB adapter (1)
- Dupont cables (3)
- Printed Instruction Sheet
- What’s needed from home
- Computer: Windows PC or Mac. We prefer you use a laptop instead of a desktop if available
Jingle bells, Jingle bells! Welcome to world of Internet of Things!Learn to program both software and hardware while making this delightful christmas ornament using the Musical Elf Ornament With LED: Learn 2 Code Kit from KiteCoders™. We will be using open source Arduino hardware and software to build and program this kit.
The Arduino computer program along with the hardware components provided in the kit makes the LED light blink in sync with the music written in the software. As a next you can program your own music or extend the music code to add additional lines of Jingle Bells. All the instructions needed to assemble the kit and program the ornament are included below with the photographs.
Note: this kit is recommended for anyone who is computer savvy and 10 years or older. No prior programming knowledge is required. For younger kids, parent assistance is very helpful. If you run into any trouble visit http://kyte.ws/elfkit-trsht
- Before you begin: we highly recommend that
- Arduino Software Installation: on your computer, visit this webpage: https://store.kitereaders.com/software-installation/
- Code For Musical Elf Ornament Kit: visit web page http://kyte.ws/ard-install. Open a new file on Arduino software on your computer, select all the existing on this doc and copy and paste only the code section from the web page
Note the code is case sensitive and comments on a single line are shown in-line preceded by “//” and block of comments are enclosed within “/*” and “*/”
- Upload the code to DigiSpark USB Arduino Micro Controller
- Assemble the hardware:
- Reference: visit http://kyte.ws/ard-reference for ebooks, video lessons and more.
- Troubleshooting: visit our page: http://kyte.ws/elfkit-trsht
- Support: If you run into any issue and cannot resolve it after reading our troubleshooting page then you can email us at support at kitereaders.com for further help.
- Next Steps: You can add additional lines of Jingle Bells to your code or replace jingle bells with some other music that you like., as long as you have enough memory on the Digispark Arduino. Visit our webpage for more information: http://kyte.ws/extend-elfkit